OPENING FILM – CLOSING FILM
The 24th TDF is happy to welcome 93 full-length and short docs
– 32 movies take part in the Festival’s international program (International Competition, Newcomers Competition, >>Film Forward Competition, Open Horizons).
– 38 movies will be screened at the Platform section, while another 7 movies will be showcased at as part of the From screen to Screen section.
– 3 special screenings, among which the film The City and the City by Christos Passalis and Syllas Tzoumerkas, marking its Greek premiere following its world premier at Berlinale’s Encounters competition section.
– The beloved documentary The Grocer by Dimitris Koutsiabasakos will be universally accessible both in its physical screening and its online screenings.
– 12 benchmark documentaries of Greek cinema will be screened within the framework of the “Motherland, I See You” tribute.
The 24th Thessaloniki Documentary Festival hosts 3 competition sections.
THE FESTIVAL’S MAIN TRIBUTE TO POST-REALITY
The 24th Thessaloniki Documentary Festival explores this post-reality we are currently experiencing, through a selection of films that boldly outline the heroes, the anti-heroes, the hidden secrets and the prismatic truths that reflect the threshold we are crossing. The 10 full-length and short film documentaries appease the fear and the uncertainty, as they remind us that all blank pages opening up before us, as scary as they may seem, carry within them an ocean of possibilities.
TRIBUTES TO FILMMAKERS
Dynamic actions, awards, projects and a series of collaborations are hosted in this year’s Agora, which will be held in both physical spaces and online. TDF’s Agora, supported by the Creative Europe MEDIA program, bestows awards in services and cash prizes of a total value of 200,000 euros and will be held from March 11 to March 19, 2022.
Nineteen Greek-speaking and English-speaking podcasts make up the Podcast Competition section of the Festival, while fifteen podcasts are included in the Out of Competition section. In this year’s edition, the Festival, in collaboration with the Louis Lumière Grande École and the French Institute of Greece, offer the scholarship-award for Young Audio Documentary Creator.
The Festival is accompanying its tribute to Post-Reality with a special two-language edition, in collaboration with Nefeli Publications, which will hit Greek bookstores, the innovative and much revered A-Catalog that captures the underlying tone of the Festival, as well as its Official Catalog.
The 24th Thessaloniki Documentary Festival is held thanks to the support of the Ministry of Culture and Sports, of the Νational Strategic Reference Framework of the Regional Operational Program of Central Macedonia, of the MEDIA program, the valuable contribution of ERT SA, the official communication sponsor of the Festival, COSMOTE TV, Grand Sponsor of the Festival, Alpha Bank, the Festival’s accessibility sponsor, Aegean, the Festival official air-carrier, and Fischer, the Audience Award sponsor of the Festival. The awards of the 24th TDF will be bestowed in its closing ceremony, on March 20, 2022.
The Festival’s program, as well as more info on the films, are available at www.filmfestival.gr. The ticket pre-sale will kick off on March 8, 2022.